- Take dental x-rays, create diagnostic models, and practice infection control including sterilization of instruments
- Assist dentistry professionals during chairside procedures
- Help patients achieve the best possible smile and oral health
Apply online at tulsatech.edu. Applications can also be obtained in the counseling offices on any of the campuses; at the Career Services Center located on the Memorial Complex; or by calling 918.828.5000.
Prior to the start of the clinical practicum, students must:
- Undergo a criminal background check including sex offender registration as required by the Oklahoma Child Care Facilities Licensing Act at requires individuals providing care to children under the age of 18 to be free of any criminal history that would indicate a potential for violent abuse against another person. Information provided on the criminal background check may impact student clinical eligibility.
- Provide verification of immunizations through vaccination records, titer (blood test) results, or declination statements. A list of specific immunizations may be obtained through the Health Sciences Center by calling 918.828.1216.
- Have a current American Heart Association CPR for the Healthcare Provider card.
- Provide transportation to clinical sites.
- Adult students must pay a liability insurance fee for clinicals. This fee is charged for each Tulsa Tech fiscal year (July 1st to June 30th).
- Adult students must pay a drug screening fee for clinicals. The drug screening is required for all students and will be completed sometime before clinicals.
- Adult students must pay a fee to participate in the online immunization tracking system.
- The Oklahoma Board of Dentistry requires that dental assistants, including dental assisting students/interns, have a current Oklahoma Dental Assistant Permit. The permit coat is $50.00 and includes a background check. A student must have a valid Oklahoma Dental Assistant Permit to attend any clinical /dental office activity.
NOTE: Fees associated with the requirements above are included in tuition/fees/books section
Students complete the Oklahoma Board of Dentistry approved training for certification in Radiation Safety. Students must complete their clinicals and pay the fee to receive their permit.
To earn the Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) certification administered by the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc. (DANB), graduates of this program must:
- Have two years of full-time work experience (3,500 hours) as a dental assistant, with written verification of work experience from the dentist employer
- Hold current CPR certification with the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross, or another DANB-accepted CPR course provider
- Pass DANB’s Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) Exam
NOTE: CDA is a registered certification mark of the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc. (DANB). Certified Dental Assistant is a trademark of DANB
Tulsa Tech builds partnerships with business and industry in the Tulsa area to find opportunities for work-based experiences and student placement. For more information, contact our Career Placement Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit tulsatech.edu.
- Professional Dental Assistant career major adult students only (age 18 or older). Students must show verification of high schoool diploma or GED
- High school seniors
- Basic computer literacy
Financial assistance is available through several options at Tulsa Tech. For the most up-to-date and complete information on scholarships and grants please visit tulsatech.edu or call 918.828.5000. For federal financial assistance go to: www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Tuition, fees, career majors, courses and hours are subject to change without notice.
All Tulsa Tech students (high school and adult) may have the opportunity to receive college credit upon completion of their program. Our College Relations office will work with students regarding the benefits of Prior Learning Assessments (PLA) toward an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree or a technical college certificate at area colleges. For more details call the College Relations office at 918.828.5000.
Plan of StudyPlan of Study
Health Sciences Center
3350 S Memorial Dr
Tulsa, OK 74145-1322
Who Can Attend?
High School Students/Adults
(High School Seniors)
H.S. / 1 school year:
August - May
8 - 10:50 A.M. / 12 - 2:50 P.M.
HS Class Starts: August 17, 2017
Adults / 9 months (all day)
Mon-Thur: 7:45 A.M. - 2:45 P.M.
Fri: 7:45 A.M. - 12:45 P.M.
Adult Class Starts: August 9, 2017 and February 13, 2018
Contact Info Center at 918.828.5000 for start dates.
Dental Assisting(HS only)
Dental Assisting Foundations
Clinical Science I
Dental Biomedical Sciences
Clinical Sciences II
Dental Assistant Clinical Externship
Estimated Tuition, Fees and Books
- Estimated Tuition, Lab & Required Fees: $3900.00
- Additional Required Costs: $884.00**
- Optional Fees: $18.00
*High school students living in the Tulsa Tech school district are not charged tuition.
**There may be additional required costs as defined in the program handbook. Tuition, fees, career majors, courses and hours are subject to change without notice.
For information concerning working conditions, physical requirements, employment and job outlook please refer to the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/.
Salary information can be found at The Occupational Information Network (O*NET) Resource Center at http://www.onetonline.org/.
O*NET_SOC Code: 31-9091.00