- Assist surgeons during surgery
- Provide surgeons with instruments, supplies, and equipment during surgical procedures
- Prepare to take the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) National Examination for the Certified Surgical Technologist
Apply online at tulsatech.edu. Applications can also be obtained in the counseling offices on any of the campuses; at the Career Services Center located on the Memorial Complex; or by calling 918.828.5000.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) 1361 Park Street Clearwater, FL 33756 Phone: 727.210.2350 Fax: 727.210.2354 www.caahep.org Accreditation Review Committee/Surgical Technology Surgical Assisting ARC/STSA 6 West Dry Creek Circle Suite 110 Littleton, CO 80120-8031 Phone: 303.694.9262 Fax: 303.741.3655 Email: email@example.com
Prior to the start of the clinical practicum, students must:
- Undergo a criminal background check including sex offender registration as required by the Oklahoma Child Care Facilities Licensing Act that requires individuals providing care to children under the age of 18 to be free of any criminal history that would indicate a potential for violent abuse against another person. Information provided on the criminal background check may impact student clinical eligibility.
- Provide verification of immunizations through vaccination records, titer (blood test) results, or declination statements. A list of specific immunizations may be obtained through the Health Sciences Center by calling 918.828.1216.
- Have a current American Heart Association CPR for the Healthcare Provider card.
- Provide transportation to clinical sites.
- Adult students must pay a liability insurance fee for clinicals. This fee is charged for each Tulsa Tech fiscal year (July 1st to June 30th).
- Adult students must pay a drug screening fee for clinicals. The drug screening is required for all students and will be completed sometime before clinicals.
- Adult students must pay a fee to participate in the online immunization tracking system.
NOTE: Fees associated with the requirements above are included in tuition/fees/books section.
The surgical technology certification exam is sponsored by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
Those who pass the certification exam may use the credential Certified Surgical Technologist (CST™).
In order to successfully complete the program, students must sit for the CST Certification exam and during clinical rotations achieve a minimum of 120 cases in the first and second scrub role.
Tulsa Tech builds partnerships with business and industry in the Tulsa area to find opportunities for work-based experiences and student placement.
Adult students only (age 18 or older)
High school diploma or G.E.D.
Basic computer literacy
Tuition, fees, career majors, courses and hours are subject to change without notice.
Certified Surgical Technologist
Plan of StudyPlan of Study
Adults / 10 months (All day); 12 months (Evening)
Mon-Fri: 7:45 A.M. - 2:30 P.M.
Day Class Starts: July 6, 2020
Mon-Thur: 3:30 - 10 P.M.
Eve Class Starts: January 6, 2020, October 21,2020, January 4, 2021
All Clinical hours:
Mon-Fri: 6:30 A.M. - 2:30 P.M. (including daytime and evening classes)
Both the daytime and the evening programs are controlled-entry with varying start dates.
Contact Info Center at 918.828.5000 for start dates.
Surgical Technologist Surgical Technology (Accredited Programs)
Surgical Technology Orientation
Core Medical Terminology
Core Employablity Skills
Core Employability Skills
Introduction to Surgical Technology
Surgical Patient Care/Theory
Surgical Patient Care/Skills
Essentials of Surgical Asepsis/Theory
Essentials of Surgical Asepsis/Skills
Surgical Tech Practicum I
Microbiology & Wound Healing
Surgical Case Management/Theory
Surgical Case Management Skills
Disaster and Emergency Preparedness
Surgical Procedure I
Surgical Procedures II
Surgical Tech Practicum II
Surgical Tech Practicum III
CST Exam Review
Note: Evening classes will have daytime clinical hours
Outcome Assessments Results for 2019 Reporting Year
CST Exam Pass Rate - 89%
Accreditation Requirements - 70%
National CST Pass Rate - 70%
Graduate Placement - 92%
Accreditation Requirement 80%
Tuition, Fees and Books
- Estimated Tuition Fees: $4,800.00*
- Books: $576.00**
Additional Required Costs: $628.00**
**There may be additional required costs as defined in the program handbook. Tuition, fees, career majors, courses and hours are subject to change without notice.
For information concerning working conditions, physical requirements, employment and job outlook please refer to the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/.
Salary information can be found at The Occupational Information Network (O*NET) Resource Center at http://www.onetonline.org/.