Student Disability Services
Empowering students with disabilities to become successful in the workplace.
Tulsa Tech’s Student Disability Services is dedicated to collaborating with and empowering students with disabilities to become successful in the workplace. In our efforts to provide appropriate services, Tulsa Tech works to make sure services are in compliance with the law. At the same time, we are committed to ensure each student receives the accommodations needed to succeed at Tulsa Tech and in the workplace. Student Disability Services determines and provides reasonable accommodations based on the individual needs of each student.
There are three legal mandates that protect students with disabilities from discrimination and ensure that they have equal access to all aspects of Tulsa Tech. These laws include Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
What is a Disability?
The ADA defines a person with a disability as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity, a record of such an impairment, or being regarded as having a disability.
What Does Disability Services Look Like at Tulsa Tech?
- Governed by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
- Student must initiate request for accommodations.
- Student is responsible for providing documentation of disability to the school.
- Student records are only accessible to the student, unless student signs a FERPA.
- No parent contact or special education classes.
- Accommodations that do not alter the fundamental nature of the course or impose undue burden on the institution are permitted.
High School Students
Tulsa Tech will work closely with your IEP team to determine appropriate accommodations. Partner schools should inform Student Disability Services about a student’s IEP meeting via email.
If you are an adult with a disability and would like to request accommodations, please complete the Adult Accommodation Form and return it to your Campus Counselor or the Student Disability Services office.
- Contact the Student Disability Services Advisor and disclose that you have a disability.
- Ask what documents are required.
- Be prepared to discuss your disability and accommodations. Discuss your needs, accommodations used in the past, what has worked, and what you think you will need while attending Tulsa Tech.
- If the Special Services Advisor determines that you are eligible for services, there will be a meeting scheduled with your instructor and campus counselor to decide what accommodations you will receive. During the meeting, make sure you have a full understanding of your academic responsibilities.
Who Do I Contact?
Any individual with a disability who requires specific information regarding services should contact: