Intertwines high school credentials or GED preparation & occupational training experiences to disconnected youth.
Located on Tulsa Tech Peoria Campus, the Career Academy is a comprehensive alternative education program that seeks to recover Tulsa-area high school dropouts and those at risk of dropping out. This collaborative effort alongside our partner school districts intertwines high school credentials or GED preparation and occupational training experiences to disconnected youth. The ultimate goal of this program is to increase the employment opportunities of at-risk youth through educational support and training, while creating self-sufficient young adults who contribute to growth and economic development in the Tulsa region.
Tulsa Tech staff fully recognizes that everyone learns differently and in a unique manner. The Career Academy program is designed to engage, educate, and expand opportunities for a wide range of students, as well as provide guidance and support toward a path to success.
- Academic Instruction
- Careeer Training Courses
- Life Skills
- Career Development
- Employability Skills Training
- Job Search Assistance
- Crisis Intervention
Applicants must express a keen interest in pursuing career and technical training in courses currently available through Tulsa Tech. Participants will spend half of each day earning high school credits in Math, Science, English, and Social Studies through a combination of teacher-led instruction and online, computerized learning. Students will be offered credit recovery or “first time” credit courses or assistance for GED exam preparation. The remaining half of each day will be spent in a career tech training course available on campuses at Tulsa Tech. Classroom time will also be spent on assessments, career exploration, job readiness, employability training, and life skills.
Prospective Student Requirements
- Demonstrate an identifiable interest in an available career training program
- Have dropped out of school or be in danger of dropping out
- Be between the ages of 17-20 years of age
- Participate in an interview accompanied by a parent and/or guardian
How to Apply
- Obtain a referral and application from a high school counselor, Tulsa Tech Career Advisor, or
- Pick up a Career Academy application at the Career Services Center located at the Lemley Memorial Campus or at the Peoria Campus, or
- Print the application located at the top of this page
- Mail your application to:
c/o Alternative Education Department
PO Box 477200
Tulsa, OK 74147-7200
- Attend an interview appointment, on-location at the Peoria Campus, accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
- Attend and successfully complete the orientation program