Alfred L. Gibbs is considered a pioneer in the development of the first vocational school district in Oklahoma.
In 1965, Tulsa Public Schools started the new Tulsa Vo-Tech. As a counselor at Webster High School, Gibbs recruited the first 321 students that filled 14 vocational programs. He would later be named the first Director of the Memorial Campus, when Tulsa Tech became an independent school district in 1973.
For over 20 years as an educator and administrator at Tulsa Tech, he championed that students were the priority. Gibbs was an innovative educator and administrator, guiding the construction of new buildings across Memorial Campus to help with an exponential growth in enrollment. He advocated for more student opportunities, leading to an addition and expansion of the Peoria Campus in 1976.
Gibbs was active in the Tulsa community, and was recognized for his lifelong commitment to community service. He earned Lion of the Year from the Red Fork Lions Club in 1980, Volunteer of the Year in 1986 from the Westside YMCA, and the Silver Key Award for 27 years of dedicated service to Vocational Technical Education. He was also on the Board of Directors for the Epworth United Methodist Church and a member of the Red Fork Masonic Lodge.
Alfred married Grace Louise in 1942 and later had two children, Alene and Lanny, who they both adored. He was known generally across the District for his positive demeanor and this quote “Hire the best people, give them the equipment they need, get out of the way!”.